240 Speaking Topics
high_scoring_formulas for speaking part
viernes, 18 de enero de 2019
SPEAKING EXAM - USEFUL EXPRESSIONS FOR INTERACTION
In part 2 of the speaking exam,there is a situation for you and your partner. With a partner, you have to decide what to do in the situation.
Here are some useful expressions to help you begin, maintain the conversation and end this part of the test:
USEFUL EXPRESSIONS FOR SPEAKING PART 2
OK, we need to decide what to buy / get / do /where to go / what we should take [objects on a journey]
So, which of these are the most important / are the best / are the most useful?
So, which of these would he / she like?
Saying what you think
I think we should / he should + infinitive
In my opinion, we should + infinitive
It would be a good idea to + infinitive because…….
I think it would be better to + infinitive than to + infinitive
I think he’d / she’d like ….
Why don’t we …? + infinitive
We could / she could + infinitive
How about…? + - ing form
What about the…. ? + object. What do you think about that?
Let’s + infinitive
I’d like to + infinitive. What about you?
……. would be useful. Do you agree?
Asking what your partner thinks
Do you agree?
How about you? Do you agree?
What do you think?
Yes, I agree.
Yes, that’s a good / great idea.
That sounds good.
No, I don’t think so because….
I don’t think that’s a very good idea because…
That’s not a bad idea but….
That’s true but….
I’m sorry, I don’t agree.
Im not sure about that. What about….? + object / + - ing form
[Specific occasion] I’d rather + infinitive + than + infinitive
[Specific occasion] I’d prefer to + infinitive
[In general] I prefer + noun + noun
[In general] I prefer + - ing form + to + - ing form
So, we think …. and … are the most important things. Is that right?
So, we’re going to take [objects on a journey] / get / buy / go to …. and …. . Is that right?
Yes, let’s take / get / buy/ go to…..
So we think he should + infinitive…
So we think he’d like + object / + to + infinitive
Yes, I think he’d really like that.
Yes, I think that would be best.
Yes, that would be really good.
· Ask your partner questions and answer the questions fully
· Listen to your partner and show interest in what s/he says
· Avoid long, prepared speeches
SOME USEFUL LANGUAGE
HOW TO :
ASK FOR SUGGESTIONS
· What shall we do tonight? · Where shall we go tonight?
· How about going to the cinema?
· Why don’t we have a meal in that new restaurant?
· We could stay in and watch a video.
· Let’s invite some friends round for dinner.
RESPOND TO SUGGESTIONS
· Yeah, that’s a great idea.
· Yes, that sounds good.
· Well, I think I’d prefer to go to a disco.
· Yes, OK
· All right, I agree.
· Which do you think is best?
· Yes, that’s possible.
· It’s difficult to decide but …….
· I think this is more useful because …
· It would be better to go to the cinema because ….
ASK FOR OPINIONS
· What do you think about that?
· Do you agree?
· How do you feel about that?
GIVE YOUR OPINION
· I think/I don’t think that’s a good idea because…
· Personally, I think that’s a terrible idea because …
· In my opinion it would be better to stay in a hotel because ….
AGREE AND DISAGREE
· That’s what I think too
· I agree.
· I’m not sure I agree with you.
· Yes, you’re right.
· Well, that’s true but ….
· I’m sorry but I don’t agree with you.
· I’d rather go to a campsite
· I’d like to stay in a youth hostel
· I’d prefer to go to a hotel
· Use the pictures round the outside as ideas for your discussion. Don’t describe them
· Think about the type of situation – is it directly about you or a third person? If it’s
about a third person, use he or she consistently
· Start the discussion immediately, DON’T waste time by giving the background to the
· Give reasons for your opinions/ideas
· Make sure you give your partner an opportunity to participate equally in the
discussion. Don’t dominate
Consejos y corrección de errores en entrevistas/interacciones/discursos
It's never been easier to ...
Transcripts for recordings!
Just discovered Splendid Speaking? Here's the first step to improving your English speaking skills whether for an English exam like BEC Higher, BULATS, CAE, CPE, or IELTS, for work or university. If you've been listening to the Splendid Speaking recordings of student interviews, don't forget to sign up for our weekly newsletter. You'll get immediate access to transcripts for ALL interviews plus notification when new updates to the site take place including promotional information about our products and services.